Garrett's Hypotonia Story

This is the blog about my son, Garrett. He was born in 2003 with hypotonia, but he does not have a diagnosis. His hypotonia seems to be mild to moderate.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Garrett Broke His Leg!

Last week (Tuesday), Garrett was working with his PT on stair climbing, and he fell. He only fell down 3 or 4 steps. I didn't see the fall happen, so I don't know how bad it was or wasn't. He walked on it for a while, then limped, and then he wouldn't stand on it at all. I really didn't think it was broken. I thought maybe he had popped his knee or hip out of place and it popped right back in place. That happened to his elbow once, and he wouldn't move his arm for several days. I decided to take him to the ER anyway, just to be sure. (It was evening by that time, so I couldn't just call the ped to get a referral for an x-ray.) He seemed to be in more pain than with the elbow incident. Sure enough, his leg was broken! The break is on the tibia, just below his knee.

Garrett wore a splint for almost a week, and he now has a bright green cast. He doesn't seem to be in pain anymore. He is even trying to crawl around a little bit. I know he can't get comfortable at night. He wakes up several times at night. I want to go into his room and sleep in there with him, but I'm afraid that would just start a really bad habit. I do check on him if it sounds like he is crying out in pain or if I hear a thud and then crying. He hasn't fallen out of his bed yet. The thud has always just been his leg banging against something.

He will get his cast off in a little over 2 weeks. I was so excited that he only had to wear the cast for 3 weeks! I thought he would have to wear it for 6 weeks, so 3 seemed like no big deal at all! I just hope his leg heals properly. Dh and I leave for a cruise the week after he gets his cast off. I hate to leave him, but I know he'll be fine.